Team-killing is a tactic used against griefers.
Team-killing was introduced with version 0.48, and was improved upon in subsequent releases. In the current beta, some servers using pyspades don't have team-killing enabled.
A teammate is vulnerable to team-killing by their own team members if:
- The teammate is removing blocks by any means (i.e. digging, shovelling, shooting or using grenades)
- The teammate is in the team's half of the map
- The teammate is shot within a few seconds of the block(s) being removed
No special process is required - shots will damage the teammate as if they were an enemy player until the window of opportunity for team killing has passed, as such a headshot is recommended.
- The friendly fire does not discriminate between those who are actually griefing and those who are mining, making it possible for griefers to team-kill team mates who are legitimately building.
- A tactic sometimes used by griefers is to add blocks in places that are problematic (e.g. blocking tunnels, or simply making a mess) and wait for team mates to remove them before team-killing them. This is easily circumvented by either leaving the "mess", removing the blocks whilst out of the griefer's line of sight, or simply vote kicking the griefer.