Water, the basic necessity of life, plays an important role in Ace of Spades. Being an effective barrier, it becomes a key point of battle in most games.
Traveling through or across water quickly is key for capturing the intel (unless the server restricts water travel) or just getting to the enemy base. There are no boats in AoS so that leaves players with only two options: Wade through the water, or go across a bridge.
Wading through the water has some advantages and disadvantages.
- Wading is always an option. Anywhere along the water, you can wade.
- It is often sneakier to wade through the water when crouching. Alternatively, if you repeatedly tap the a and d keys, you wiggle very slightly, but you make no sounds while walking, even when standing up.
- It requires no building material to cross.
- It is rather slow crossing a larger body of water
- Many people crossing the water at once are rather easy to snipe as no cover is given.
- Some pyspades servers use water damage, which injures the player every few seconds of being in it
- The sound made when wading is very loud and can be easily heard from afar
For the main article on bridges, click here
Bridges also have their pros and cons:
- Bridges are the fastest mode of travel across water.
- They can provide cover while crossing.
- They provide a place for an entire team to get across.
- They take time to be built and usually require cooperation to build.
- They can be easily taken down by the enemy or griefers.
- They funnel your team into a small area.
Defending the water is essential for green team to protect the intel and helpful for blue to reduce the number of greens in their territory. Defense usually is a 3 high wall along the water with holes to towers with snipers picking off those crossing. Grenades are highly ineffective against waders as the water completely nullifies the damage. The only way to damage them would be to throw a grenade near the water and hope that the shrapnel reaches the target.
Water is usually its main color, blue, though the shading can vary based on the distance from the shore. Adjacent to land, the water takes on a very green-blue hue. Custom maps do allow for varying colored water.
|Environment||Map * Custom maps * Water * Fog * Intel * Command post|
|Mechanics||Building * Health/Damage|
|Buildings||Entire list of buildings * Bridges * Bunkers * Tunnels * Walls * Towers|
|Teams||Blue Team * Green Team * Pink Team|